Thursday, October 8, 2009

Your son is sleeping beneath chilly plants, don't ask his wage for today

Last evening, My neighbor called me saying my mom got held her hand in washing machine and she is fine. I suddenly rushed to home and there was not much to worry about, she was fine.

Today morning, I sat next to her to explain how a washing machine works? then I took her to machine and gave a demo explaining all the functions. There was so much of curiosity in her eyes! She asked me so many question which were so simple, and I was yet happy to answer her.

I still remember, there was time when me and my mom used to go harvest cotton on a summer day. She was paid 12 Rupees a day and I was paid 8 Rupees. We never considered the burning sun and skin scratches due to dried cotton thrones. While we work she used to talk to me continuously, she used to tell me about Gandhiji and Indian freedom moment. She always told me to be good at mathematics and get selected in a entrance exam for a residential school. By then, I was young and some land owners did not considered me as daily labour by then also mom took me along her. While she was working I collected woods and cow dung cakes to make domestic fuel for winter.

I still remember that day when my mom slapped me. It was a hot day and we were working, we were harvesting chillies. The chilly plants were taller than me when I bent down. In middle of work I slept beneath the chilly plants and nobody noticed me until for some time. Then the land owner saw me and shouted, 'Lalithamma, nim hudga holdaga makkonthana avn kooli kelak barbyada' (Lalithamma, your son slept beneath chilly plants and you do not ask his wage for today) My mom came and slapped me, she was worrid that I didnt even paid for half day.

We used to work for 6 days a week and mom earned 72 Rupees + around 40 Rupees mine. Every week she used to send me to the weekly market, that used to gather near by my village. I always carried a bag and 50 Rupees in my pocket. walk alone on a mud road. When I reached market, I kept wandering through out all the shops. Mom narrated me the list of things to get and I noted down on a paper. Meanwhile, I never felt to have a chocolate of 50 paisa, because I knew 50 paisa is lot more for mom. also she suggested me to not to have tea in shop, she told me she will make tea for me when I get back home. I used to return to home by evening. She used to check if I bought everything and calculate the money I spent. Then she used to make tea for me, we sat together and sip it and get out. I was not supposed to stay at home after lunch or dinner, as there was no space for me to sit. We lived in a smallest room, may be 20fx15f smaller. by night we used my grandpa's house for sleeping.

Fortunately, now time has changed. And today I get her everything she want. She never asks me anything but I know what she want. She never dreamt of using a washing machine in her life. She struggled all though her life as a labor. And today she is proud of me and I am happy that she is proud and happy. Every morning she waits until I get up and brings me tea, after that she prepares breakfast for me. When I go home she asks me 10 times if she can serve food for me and I say yes by 11th time. On weekends I take her to malls and big bazar. I feel so proud and satisfied when she sits on my bike and holds my shoulder. In malls I explain her everything, I explain her how these malls makes profit? I explain her what does Software Company do? I explain her what is recession? I explain her what is central government and state government? how do our government works? I use all simplest examples to make her understood.

When I was in school, she wrote me a postcard every week and 35 rupees of money order every month. I regret that I didn't preserve those letter. By then I never thought of making her happy, I was in my own world in school. I was sitting in classroom with 40 of my classmates and she was working hard in sun to arrange 35 Rupees to send me next month.

Today, if I am sitting in a Air Conditioned room with a computer. It's all because she worked hard under sun all the day for 12 Rupees.

After we discuss something, she never forgets to add a line 'If your father was alive, he would have felt so happy' and i say 'who knows?'

Still I remember those 35 Rupees she used to send me, no matter I am paid 75,000 Rupees a month.

I love you mom.

15 comments:

  1. Great yaar!...............I am so proud of you..hard work never fails keep it up..Waiting to see our luckiest mom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one dude......... I am glad that you are doing good things. God created MOM so that she can take care of us when he is not able to look after us all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Divya wrote

    mayya, read ur chilly blog
    too good. i cant believe wot u said abt ur childhood days?
      
    r u serious? don do emotional atyachar
    it's so grt man, cant guess or relate anything to facts u said abt ur past

    achievement i can say
    u made me proud being ur frndMayya

    ReplyDelete
  4. well well. i have no words. absolutely no words. Not just because it
    is very touchy but because of many reasons.
    Mathad needs to get one standing ovation for this writing.
    Firstly for his honesty. He is frank enough to share his bad times
    with everybody. That's very rare in this hypocritic world.
    Secondly, he has dared to write on his mother. Mother, as we all know is the most
    precious and beautiful thing on earth. It requires extra strength and courage to write about her.
    I can never do that myself.
    Thirdly, he has narrated the whole thing so beautifully, it instantly strikes the cord for any reader.
    I wish you great success in life dude. Hope you will take care of your mom
    even after some lady enters your life. I am sure you will.
    Keep trying to become a better person in life and Go and reach for stars. As the saying goes ...
    "the talent born in a cottage always dies in a palace"

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. just came across ur blog... and this one is wesome buddy.... wish to meet ur mom and touch her feet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. No words to express... Drops rolled down on the cheeks.. Take care of mom..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very touchy and truly inspiring, Mahesh! I know you have written it long back, but stumbled upon it only today. Absolutely agree with Sajid's words!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ajith, shweta, sameer am happy because u ppl stil read something. and thankful for yr comments, thts really inspires me to write mote. Inspire me by following ma blog :)

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mahesh, its heart touching. No words to express my opinion. But when parents matter comes, nobody can say anything. Silence is only the way to express our feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey :) Ive NO WORDS to describe!! u reminded me abt my mom....she has done a lot of things to me in my childhood days n even now..i love her a lot!! ur mom s lucky to have a son like u n vice versa....my respect towards u has increased now..NEVER CHANGE....keep it comin!! im jus speechless after readin tis :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. CJ thanks for reading. am glad u too love yr mom fullo. keep up :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @sharad, thanks for comment sory to ask you that 'do you read kannada?' I have been noticing these days ppl feel low to admit that they read kannada. but the fact it most of them cant. until a person gets the deepest knowledge in atleast one language then its hard for them to enjoy the aroma of life.

    ReplyDelete